The West Michigan Metropolitan Transportation Planning Program (WestPlan) 2040 Long-Range Transportation Plan provides for a multi-jurisdictional, multi-year look at the Muskegon/Northern Ottawa area’s future transportation system. Transportation needs and resources were evaluated for the period 2014 to 2040, and appropriate plans were made for meeting long-term needs, in the best manner possible with constrained finances. The plan also includes the use of local, state, and federal transportation goals and objectives to guide transportation plans and projects. This plan covers transportation for all of the WestPlan area and, as such, is heavily flavored with input from local elected officials, municipal and road agency staff, and the citizens of the Muskegon/Northern Ottawa area.
The continual development of this document is a cooperative effort of the local communities, transportation stakeholders, the public, and the metropolitan planning organization (MPOs). The process, explained below, includes the development of numerous elements. The development of the Long Range Transportation Plan is driven, in part, by eight Federal planning factors which have been identified by FHWA. These factors are outlined below.
- Support the economic vitality of the metropolitan area, especially by enabling global competitiveness, productivity and efficiency.
- Increase the safety of the transportation system for motorized and non-motorized users.
- Increase the security of the transportation system for motorized and non‐motorized users.
- Increase the accessibility and mobility of people and for freight.
- Protect and enhance the environment, promote energy conservation, improve the quality of life, and promote consistency between transportation improvements and state and local planned growth and economic development patterns.
- Enhance the integration and connectivity of the transportation system, across and between modes, for people and freight.
- Promote efficient system management and operation.
- Emphasize the preservation of the existing transportation system.