Registration is open for the Michigan Natural Shoreline Partnership 2019 Certified Natural Shoreline Professional Course. This course, held March 5/6, 2019 in East Lansing, MI, followed by a June 5, 2016 field day in Paw Paw, MI, is designed to teach engineers, landscape architects, contractors, or other professionals the skills needed to design and implement bioengineering and natural shoreline restoration techniques on inland lakes.
Please visit our website for more information, or to register for the course:
Classroom instruction includes topics on:
- Michigan lakes and problems with shoreline development
- Characteristics and benefits of natural shorelines
- Shoreline ecosystems, soils and native plants
- Methods, techniques and design of bioengineered shoreline erosion control
- Designing, monitoring and maintaining a natural shoreline landscape
- Natural shoreline case studies
- Water law and shoreline development permits
PLUS a one-day field exercise installing a natural shoreline landscape on an inland lake property
Please note that space in the course is limited, and registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Benefits of becoming a MI CNSP include:
- Michigan Certified Natural Shoreline Professional identifies you as a professional trained in the use of natural landscaping technologies and bioengineered erosion control for the protection of Michigan inland lakes.
- Your name and contact information will be posted on the Michigan Natural Shoreline Partnership website as a Preferred Certified Contractor. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) will refer interested parties to this list on their website.
- You will receive in-depth training on the State of Michigan’s permit requirements and process for soft shoreline construction
Please feel free to contact Dr. Robert Schutzki, MSU (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Brian Majka (email@example.com) with questions about the program, or Amy Frankmann (firstname.lastname@example.org) to register. We look forward to seeing you there!